- Take a walk around the home and look for any damage specifically to the roof. Are there any missing shingles or damage done from snow or ice that may have built up on the gutters?
- Clean the gutters from all debris
- Now is the perfect time to trim back trees or bushes as they are easiest to manage without leaves. Be sure to trim anything that is directly in contact with the home or roof to provide for a gap to protect your home and siding.
- Pressure wash your deck if you've got one. Once the weather improves you'll want to put a sealer on it to protect against water and sun damage.
- Wash Windows
- Caulk Windows and seal any areas that could use it
- Be sure to check your garden hoses for cracks and turn on the exterior water valves that you may have shut off prior to winter
- Clean the grill
- Rake the yard and clean up any leaves from the fall/winter season in the yard
That is a great start to your Spring Cleaning List! Once you've managed that part of the list, its time to focus on the INTERIOR:
- Wash interior windows in addition to the exterior
- Replace and check furnace filter
- Caulk the windows inside your home as well to repair any damage that may have been done by ice and snow during a brutal winter. This will help maintain your heat/cool of the home and also prevent mold or other damage
- Deep Clean the carpets
- Clean and store your humidifiers that you would have made use of for fall/winter
- Dust your home and be sure to pay special attention to the fans in your home. Clean them well so they are good to use once warmer weather arrives and you'll need the circulation they offer for the home.
- Test your A/C. When its 105 this summer and you turn it on for the 1st time, that is not the time to find out it needs service. However, it is best to wait until the temperature is 65 to do this.
- Test all your smoke and fire alarms in the house to ensure they are working
- Did you use the fireplace quite often this winter? Now may be a great time to get this cleaned
I hope the tips I've provided can start you off on the right path to great home maintenance for the year and a wonderful spring!
As always, if you know anyone that may benefit from my blog please forward my articles on to them and be sure to follow future blogs :-) Thank you, Ben.